Friday, July 13, 2012

Vanilla Cupcakes with Raspberry Buttercream


I know I said in my last blog post I was going to give baking a mini break (and therefore this post would be a continuation of the afternoon tea saga), but last weekend I just could not resist!
I had absolute NO intention of getting in the kitchen, but last Saturday we decided to throw our friend a very impromptu baby shower.  She’s 36 weeks along so it was either now or never! While she was very happy to accept the latter, I was not! I do however understand where she was coming from because when I was pregnant, a baby shower was the least of my worries and I could easily have not had one. C, being the wonderful man he is, threw me one despite my protests and I was so glad he did because it turned out to be one of the happiest memories of my pregnancy.  So we wanted our friend to officially celebrate her pregnancy even if it was just over an informal dinner with close friends!

I really wanted to make it something a little bit more than just dinner and I had this vision of getting to dinner early to place a cupcake on each place setting, surprising her as she walked into the restaurant.  But traffic was a nightmare (the one drawback of living in the city fringe) and we didn’t arrive to dinner until half way through.  DOH!
 

Luckily, everyone decided to retreat to the Pancake Parlour next door for drinks and while our friend decided to drive the whole 10 metres (she IS pregnant after all), the rest of us were able to hastily recreate the effect I was hoping for.  The look on her face when she walked into the restaurant and saw everyone gathered around with these cute little cupcakes was priceless.  Okay, so maybe it wasn’t really the cupcakes that gave that priceless expression, most likely the mountain of presents (literally) that she was confronted with!

So these are a vanilla cupcake with a raspberry buttecream frosting.  I love how the raspberries have naturally turned the buttercream into a beautiful pink colour and you can even see the raspberry seeds speckled in the frosting.  I'm really beginning to love having frozen raspberries stocked in our freezer, they've come in handy so many times now! Without them, these would have been a plain vanilla cupcake with pink frosting,

This is the same cupcake recipe I used when we foolishly decided to bake 200 cupcakes for our wedding several years ago! For me, its a tried and tested recipe that I'm happy with. 
 P.s. Our friend looked radiant exactly how a glowing mother-to-be should be!




No comments:

Post a Comment