Sunday, December 30, 2012

Chocolate Christmas Log

Okay, so for those that have been following my blog, I am still alive and I have not abandoned my blog (not completely at least for the time being)! I cannot believe its been almost two months since my last post! How terrible of me!

That's not to say that I've not been baking! I have been, although since little girl's birthday extravaganza, it saddens me to say that baking has been a luxury I just don't have much time for these days :(  (and yes, baby girl is grown up and turned into a little miss).  I've recently gone back to work returning to my legal roots, and on top of trying to run two cafe businesses and juggling little girl, well, you can see why baking hasn't been high on the agenda!

So with the explanations done, belated Merry Christmas to all!!  I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas catching up with family, friends and loved ones!

This year, we were adamant about keeping Christmas very low key! After last year's stressful Christmas, I wanted to keep out of the kitchen as much as possible on the day and I am very happy to say, I managed to do just that!  Well, I was responsible for making a dessert this year, which was the least I could do!

So I decided on this chocolate christmas yule log! It's a chocolate sponge, filled with whatever you like! Some recipes call for a chocolate filling (like ganache) although I decided to opt for a simple whipped cream.  And the log wouldn't be complete without the frosting on top (I used ganache) and a dusting of icing sugar!
To get the log texture, I ran a fork over the ganache, although you could easily leave off the ganache.  I am pleased that my sponge didn't crack, although I wasn't too fussed if it did as the cracks would have added a really nice log texture.

If you're adamant about not having the sponge crack, apparently the secret is to roll up the sponge using a tea towel as soon as it is out of the oven and let it cool while wrapped in the towel.  The tea towel retains the moisture.

I have to admit that a part of me is regretting that I did not embark on some crazy Christmas themed baking project like I did last year.  Although I did manage to bake some gingerbread men for our wonderful customers at the cafe and some red velvet cupcakes for my work Christmas party! But no crazy gingerbread house project! Oh well, there's always next year!

Merry Christmas all! xx


No comments:

Post a Comment