Monday, April 28, 2014

Burnt Almond Torte

It's C's birthday today! Yay! About two weeks ago, C showed me an article about a Burnt Almond Torte that he had read on Huffington Post.  After reading the article (or skimming it), I asked C, "what about it?".  He said, "I want this for my birthday!" So I re-read the article and found out it originates from Pittsburgh, it's described as the best ever cake America has to offer. It comprises of a super airy, light, fluffy white cake you'll apparently ever come across sandwiched with custard and candied almonds and then covered with a thin layer of buttercream and more candied almonds.
The flavour combination doesn't really appeal to me, although I did find the description intriguing.  C, on the other hand, was like a little kid in a candy store, eyes all lit up at the sound of this cake.  He absolutely loves custard and combined with a fluffy airy cake, it's a winner in his books!
So I tried to track down the recipe for the white cake and came across one which is meant to be a "copycat" of Prantl's Bakery burnt almond torte.  The cake was unfortunately too dense for my liking.  For the filling and the outside, I used my trustworthy creme pat recipe as well as my vanilla buttercream.  I must admit, I don't see what the fuss is about! The candied almonds are a nice texture, but creme pat with cake? The jury is still out on that one!  As for C, well he was in heaven, eating two slices plus half of my slice!
And the cake wouldn't be complete without little finger marks in the icing! As I was getting the candles ready, little girl couldn't help herself and started poking her fingers into the icing! Hehe!

Happy birthday C!

No comments:

Post a Comment